Haiti: In a press note # 009 dated April 8, 2010 received on Friday in the journal, the Directorate General of the Institute for the Protection of National Heritage (ISPAN) has
According to the memo signed by Daniel Elias, the Director General of Ispan, "removal of harmful components or deemed uncollectible begins the first stage of the restoration of Haiti's National Palace, designed by the architect George Haitian Baussan and estimated be "the most beautiful example of neoclassical architecture transplanted to America."
The Nouvelliste could not reach any of the Ispan responsible for understanding the process. The budget, the funding source and duration of the works remain unknown.
However, in statements to Agence France Presse, the head of the presidential guard, Bernard Elias, said the bulldozers were "going to stabilize the dangerous parts. "The rest, we do not know yet," he added. Asked about the timing of work, this "is not defined yet," he said according to AFP.
According to Fritz Longchamp, secretary general of the presidency, echoed by the agency PNH, the work begins now because that "important documents first had to be recovered and placed in a safe place."
On Friday, reporters have found that the Nouvelliste demolition work continued even though the two dump trucks were stopped. Workmen breaking concrete blocks with masses and, obviously, parts of furniture and decorative elements were neglected.
The two huge balloons chandeliers hanging from the ceiling of the main entrance were still in their place. The shovels were slumbering where the grand staircase leading to the Palace and the huge columns that supported the central dome, eyeing the peristyle hall of busts like bulls in a china shop, waiting quietly resumes.
If these public works vehicles stamped CNE were clearly visible, indistinguishable in the presence of court officials and employees of ISPAN.
Interested to know where were stored the collection of busts Bronzed Haitian heads of state who was at the Palace and other works of art and archival materials, journalists went to visit information.
At the National Pantheon Museum, custodian of historic properties, only the goalkeeper before. Asked by reporters of news, he says that the institution has decided to keep its doors closed until the affected Champ de Mars are relocated.
Goalkeeper Mupanah says that only a few pictures from the National Palace had been received during the month of February. Two of them, including the "Oath of the Ancestors", were shipped to France for restoration. Since then, no new work of any kind have been brought for deposit or investment in the Museum, as the only person present in Mupanah this Friday.
At the Ministry of Culture and Communication, which has guardianship of the National Institute of Protection of National Heritage located at a stone's throw from the site, nor does anyone seem to know what happens at the Palace. A secretary shall refer the newspaper in charge of Communication of the Presidency, where a member of the press service informed us that it is awash in applications and a tour package for journalists will be conducted Monday.
Haitian President Rene Preval had said in late January that France had proposed rebuilding of the Presidential Palace, work whose cost is estimated at 120 million euros minimum.
"We're always in the mood to contribute to the reconstruction, subject to feasibility studies," said AFP Friday the ambassador of France in Haiti, Didier Le Bret, but stressed that " must take into account the new conditions of their country without engaging in investment that would be misunderstood by the people "Haitian and French.
The area of the National Palace is estimated at 20,000 m2, 4,000 m2 cons for the Elysee Palace in Paris.
Source: Lenouvelliste (French)
Levanjiltv: English Translation